Wednesday 14 May 2014

Real Life Locks (water transport)

   These are just some pictures of lock systems in real life, if you were wondering; these are some examples of how lock look like in real life. I'm pretty sure I've actually seen one in real life before when I went on trips and vacations with my family. Back then, I didn't know it was a lock and didn't know what it was used for, but now I know what is it and even making a model of it. ;)

1) The first photo is a canal lock on beside a cottage in the Grand Union Canal at Marsworth in Hertfordshire, England.

2) The second photo is a lock on a River Necker at Heidelberg, Germany.

3) The last photo is a lock called "Lock 21", the Peterborough Life Lock. The body of water is 145km and the lock is 36.6m in length and 9.7m in width. The average lift is 19.8m. It is one of the only two hydraulic lift locks on the waterway in Canada. Lock 21 is the highest lift lock in the world. It was opened in July 9th, 1904 in 353 Hunter Street East, Peterborough.

1)
2)
3)
~Jisu

No comments:

Post a Comment